Sunday, October 24, 2010

Need directions? Don't ask me unless you want to get lost!


Why am I so directionally challenged???  It is so easy for me to get lost.  I hate getting lost.  I spent at least an hour today not knowing exactly where I was.....yes, I was using the gps map on my iphone.  Yes, I was watching that little green dot moving along the green line that was my trip map.  No one ever told me that the green dot keeps moving if you lose your cell signal.  But all that means is, it moves whatever direction you are going.  You can no longer see the map - just the green dot moving on the line.  Next thing I know, the map is back.  That's when I noticed that the signal was back - which, by the way, I had not figured out before this.  That's also when I noticed that my little green dot was moving in the oppposite direction of my green line where I was supposed to be.  I was sooooo disappointed to realize that I was going the wrong way, and that, of course, I had no idea where I had taken a wrong turn (or not taken the right one).  To top it all off, I had been behind a white truck for miles.  At this very moment, they decided to turn right.  I figured they would think I was following them, if I chose to turn the same place (so I could turn around), so I kept going a little ways longer. 

As I turned around and re-set the trip planner from my current location, I couldn't help but think about some things I wished I had done differently this morning before I left home.  I made this same trip a few months ago with no problem, so I didn't really even think about getting the directions again.  Big mistake!!  Two other people from my town were also coming here.  Why didn't we caravan?  Cell phones are nice, but they cannot be depended on when there is no signal.  The only think that would have made me feel totally at ease would have been to know the directions by heart.  That would have given me full confidence that I knew exactly where to go and what to do.

I thought about my Christian walk then, and how important it is to have God's Word in my heart - to know some scripture from memory.  We don't always have time to look up a verse or call someone when something happens quickly.  What great assurance it is to remember what God promised when facing hard times.  It only takes a few seconds to go from worry to peace when you can recall what God's Word says about your situation.  It is the best thing you can have to help you know where to go and what to do. 

---- I added something to my blog today.  I made it at Wordle.net.  It's made to take ideas, comments, or feelings from a group and put the answers given most in larger print, and then smaller prints for other words, according to the number of times that answer was given.  You can also use it to enter your blog address, and it will make a wordle out of the words you used on your blog.  The words that occured more often are in the largest print. 

I got a big blessing out of this.  Check it out!  It's fun.  I hope you have a great week.  God bless!

1 comment: